Thursday, September 10, 2015

Doctor Who: Bloodtide

by Jonathan Morris



Summary from GoodReads

The prehistoric Earth is dying. Thunderclouds roll across the skies, cloaking the land in darkness. The seas crash and boil as the rain turns to acid. The remnants of the Silurian race place themselves in suspended animation, deep below the surface.

One day they will awaken and reclaim their world…

The TARDIS has landed on the Galapagos Islands, a desolate outcrop of rocks shrouded in mist and fear. In the settlement of Baquerizo Moreno, there are rumours that prisoners have been mysteriously disappearing from the gaolhouse. A fisherman has been driven insane by something he saw in the caves. And the Doctor and Evelyn are not the only new arrivals; there is also a young natural philosopher by the name of Charles Darwin…

Chronological Placement
This story takes place between the television adventures, The Trial of a Time Lord and Time and the Rani.
 


Thoughts on the Book


I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, I grew up with my dad loving Tom Baker, and I really got into the 2005 reboot.  I've since gone back and hunted through the interwebs to find classic who episodes, I'm currently almost done with the first Doctor.  So when I saw an audio book (for lack of a better term, it's more of a radio serial type story) staring Colin Baker I jumped all over it, a Doctor Who story read by the 6th Doctor? Hells yes.


My Review

The Doctor brings his companion, Evelyn, to the Galapagos when the HMS Beagle is in port as a surprise for her.  They meet Darwin right away but the Doctor quickly discovers something is amiss with the prison on the island.  

I really really enjoyed listening to this.  Each leg of my commute I was able to listen to one installment of it.  I must have looked like an idiot to anyone driving past me, I had a goofy grin the whole time because it was so funny.  The Doctor's horrible puns were just amazing.  I also enjoy when the Doctor has smart companions and Evelyn was definitely one of those, not once did she scream "DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!" like so many of the others do when they get into trouble.  She was independent and the Doctor trusted her to do what needed to be done while he was busy with something else.  Even when she ran off with Darwin the Doctor wasn't overly concerned, it was more like "well, I suppose I should go fetch her now".  It was refreshing to have a companion like that, they're few and far between.

The story was fun too, although I need to watch more Classic Who because the Silurians weren't anything like those from the new series.  Anatomically I mean, these had a third eye and had telepathic powers.  The derogatory terms and hostility towards humans definitely remained in the new series, except for that one annoying one Moffet seems to love to include for no reason.

But I digress.  The story was great and it was a really fun listen.  I give this a 9/10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment