Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday [24]

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish that allows bloggers to share their top ten lists for that week’s topics










Top 10 Book to Movie Adaptions I Wish I Never Saw


I generally dislike book to movie adaptions, so there's really none that I want to see, but a bunch that I've seen and regretted, walked out of the movie theatre even.

1 - Timeline - Michael Crichton



They took out simple tech and added a superfluous character, changed other character's genders, and all around made every attempt to ruin one of my favorite books

2 - Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead



I can't pinpoint exactly what went wrong with this one, but the end result was just not good.  Rose's snark didn't come off how it should have, Lissa and Christian were both lame.  And what was with all of the Twilight jokes?

3 - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams



The silly was halved in the movie, and it just wasn't as memorable.  They added stupid humor to make up for the inability to translate the intelligent humor of the books onto the screen. 

4 - The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - Ann Brashares



This movie was so blah, and it took away so much of the girl's friendship and made it all about boys.

5 - Les Miserables - Victor Hugo



Strictly speaking all the remakes of it are nothing like the book.  However, the musical is awesome.  But no matter how you look at it the movie was God-awful.  It had the freedom to follow the musical and pull extra from the book.  I don't think the writers for the movie even knew it was a book originally, they just removed the story farther away from the original.

6 - Emma - Jane Austen



So bad.  So boring, I fell asleep while watching it.  And I wanted to love it so bad.  Granted, I haven't been able to get through the book either, but other remakes have been fantastically done: Clueless and Emma Approved to name a couple

7 - Eragon - Chris Paolini



I'm a big fan of the books.  But this movie?  Way to take everything awesome from the books and remove it.  They put emphasis on all the wrong things.

8 - City of Bones - Cassandra Clare



Again, what happened to reading the book and understanding it and the characters?  It's like the screenwriters got a summary of the book that they worked off of.

9 - The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien



Another one of my favorite books that Hollywood felt the need to butcher.  They totally ruined it and made it stupid for what?  To be able to split the smallest book of the series into three movies.  Bravo Peter Jackson, great job.

10 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling



They felt the need to stay so close to the books for everything that they lost the magic feel of them and everything they skipped over from the books was blatantly obvious.  I really hated this movie and Chamber of Secrets.  When Chris Columbus left the project the movies got oh-so-much better.


Honorable Mentions





1 comment:

  1. Nice list!! I realize now that I forgot to add The Book Thief to my list this week too as I still have to read this book or watch the movie adaptation.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/11/top-ten-tuesday-ten-book-to-movie.html

    ReplyDelete