Monday, November 16, 2015

Immersed

by Katie Hayoz


Summary from GoodReads

Forget petticoats and demure female behavior. Melusine DorĂ© prefers armored corsets and knives and slays evil creatures for a living. The grim and gruesome don’t frighten her; she’ll take on a cyclops or a dragon and not even break a sweat. But when her rival, the charismatic Levi Cannon, comes to town, all her buried fears begin to surface. Melusine realizes she is in danger of something much more horrifying than facing blood-thirsty beasts – she’s in danger of falling in love. Because love alone has the power to reveal a secret terrible enough to completely shatter her world.

Set in the muddy streets of 1850s steampunk Chicago, Immersed by Katie Hayoz is a dark yet romantic fantastical romp. It is a stand-alone novella, but the first in a series of adventures that follow Melusine on her quest to rid the world of monsters…and her struggle to come to terms with every monstrous facet of herself.
 

Thoughts on the Book

I got this book through NetGalley.  I thought the premise sounded very cool.

My Review

This book is about Melusine, a cursed monster-killer.  She gets forced into working with her arch enemy, Levi, a fellow monster-killer.

I loved the world Hayoz built.  It's a steampunk Chicago filled with mythological creatures.  I love the rivalry between Melusine and Levi, and the tension between them.  I really enjoyed learning about Melusine's curse as well and the reason behind it.  I want to know more about her family life!  

My main issue with this book is that it was too short, some things felt kind of rushed or glossed over.  If Hayoz had taken time to really draw out some of the stuff, especially between Melusine and Levi, it would have been so much better!  Which is saying a lot since it was awesome as is.

I give this one a 9/10.  I can't wait to read more from this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment